In this episode Kendall, rachel, and Matt Newkirk discuss:
- What's it like being the Babel Fish of Etsy?
- Matt's humble beginnings as a programmer in Mordor (working on a text-based Lord of the Rings game :))
- How are projects managed in a multi-user dungeon (MUD)?
- Understanding your job as a manager is not just creating a checklist of "No's"
- Matt's circuitous route through various roles that ultimately brought him to management
- Finding cross-team synergies and ways to leverage common data and goals
- Making it a mission to be visible at cross-functional meetings and casual get-togethers
- Being loud as a way to connect various teams and information across the company
- Debriefing your partner as post-work therapy
- What it's like to manage a team when you don't share their technical skills
- How, shockingly, no one likes being ordered to use processes they didn't get to help develop
- The value of networking and connecting with others within your company, making sure you're not building the same wheel as another department
- A senior manager is thinking about how to improve the output and happiness of their team as well as how their team's productivity impacts the company overall.
- Paths through failure as an accelerator to leadership skill
- How leadership and delegation experience helped with being a good partner when his wife was giving birth ;)
- "Just Talk To People"(tm)
Find Matt at www.matthewnewkirk.com
Special thanks to Mel Stanley for our theme music <3