In this episode, Kendall, rachel, and Lena talk about:
- Starting out in finance, the arts, classic cars journalism, and more...
- Uses (appropriate or not) for creativity in leadership
- Realizing that a potential lifelong career in banking would be...boring
- First startup experience as a web copywriter
- First formal leadership experience as a bootstrapped startup CEO
- Ebola outbreak response...no biggie, right?!
- Becoming more intentional as a leader, learning about leadership frameworks
- Growing out of the 'relationship' as a cofounder, wanting different things
- Big, International, Complicated :)
- Becoming a regular old Engineering Manager, and...immediately becoming a VP of Engineering
- Twitter as a source of leadership learning, despite the trashfire
- Managing in all directions, 360 degree leadership
- Acknowledging that leadership successes depend on the quality of the team
- Hiring tenets, "value add" vs "culture fit"
- Finding the right role at CircleCI
- Authority and how to swing it, understanding power distance
- Maintaining a list of hobbies to take up as a hobby
- A strong desire for "really good fries"
- A recommendation for poetry books by Omar Sakr, more books recommended below
- Working on dialing back the tendency to take charge in non-work life (such a familiar struggle :))
More books Lena recommends:
You can find Lena on the internet at:
Special thanks to Mel Stanley for our theme music <3