Aye Thu (Slack)
Episode 69 · July 30th, 2021 · 47 mins 48 secs
About this Episode
In this episode, Kendall, rachel, and Aye talk about:
- Being an Old (Java 1.0 certified!)
- Realizing he used to be "hard to work with"
- Transitioning away from electrical engineering and into enterprise software
- The idea that management is where people who can't build software anymore "go to die"
- Starting to understand that there is more to life than writing Java code
- Moving to Las Vegas and having his life changed by the Zappos culture
- Learning how to be a better manager from a good team
- How knowing the wrong things to do is not the same as knowing the right things to do
- Starting a company...to help managers do a better job (at 1:1s)!
- Discovering that marketing and sales is hard and that most places don't invest in management tools :(
- Finding a desirable culture and good work-life balance at Slack
- Wishing he had a good leadership mentor earlier in his work life
- The fact that the immature asshole developer is a pretty common archetype
- Enjoyment of kettlebell exercises and a whole new world for Kendall
You can find Aye on LinkedIn and on Twitter as @damnitjim ;)
Special thanks to Mel Stanley for our theme music <3